Thursday 5 May 2022

Valentine's Day Period Drama Tag

Long past Valentine's Day (though May is the traditional wedding month!) and shamelessly stolen, here's another lovely period drama game!

I just love period dramas, and I love romance, so this is just the right game for me!

1) Your current three (or up to five!) favorite period dramas?

All Creatures Great and Small 1978-90 // Sense and Sensibility 1995 // Little Lord Fauntleroy 1980 // Pride and Prejudice 1995 // Sherlock Holmes 1984-94

2) What would you recommend to someone who’s never seen a period drama as a starter?

Definitely one of the better Jane Austen adaptations of the 90s!

3) A favorite couple that wouldn’t be included in answer #1 (cause I’m figuring those are already top favorites ;)) and/or a favorite secondary character romance? 

Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane in A Dorothy L. Sayers Mystery.

4) What do you consider foundational qualities for a healthy romance? 

Love. And dedication.

5) Worst villain/antagonist?

Oh, I don't know... in a period drama... I think – John and Isabella Thorpe. Surely not the worst villains in period drama world, but they drive me furious, so here we go.

6) A favorite proposal scene?

"Ah! Thou gifest me such hope and courage, and I haf nothing to gif back but a full heart and these empty hands."

7) Favorite period drama characters based on a real life couple?

James and Helen Herriot, Siegfried and Caroline Farnon.

8) Any classic b/w period dramas you like?

I am fond of the 1944 version of Pride and Prejudice. Also, I'd say The Scarlet Pimpernel is a classic, and I'd like to see the 1934 Little Women.

9) Most mature romance in a period drama? (mature as in age and/or characters who are consciously and wisely ripened by life experience, etc.)

I love Siegfried and Caroline; and although they are not canon and ought not to be together in the end, I truly enjoy the scenes Siegfried and Margery have.

10) Most excruciatingly long, slow burn romance in a period drama?

Oh, I don't know – I wouldn't know of a period drama that lasts as long. And I like slow stories, so... I just don't know.

11) A story that has multiple film adaptations where you love more than one of them?

Oh, I love the 1996 and 2009 versions of Emma equally! I generally sometimes like several adaptations (and sometimes not at all!) but those two in particular.

12) A book you think needs to be made into a film (or a new adaptation)?

Generally, so many Elizabeth Goudge books! Her Damerosehay and Torminster trilogies, in particular. Also, These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer. And we need a new, entirely different version of Jane Eyre.


I tag everyone who'd like to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment